Governor Rick Perry is catching flack for calling Turkey’s leadership “Islamic terrorists.” While I would not go so far as Governor Perry, had he simply called Prime Minister Erdoğan an enabler for Islamic terrorists, he would be 100 percent correct.
I’ve previous charted Turkey’s path from ally to adversary. But here are a couple factoids which Perry might know, but many journalists and analysts may not:
• Prime Minister Erdoğan endorsed an Al Qaeda financier.
• Turkey also helped supply Al Qaeda in Iraq.
• Erdoğan had repeatedly embraced Hamas and acted to supply it.
• Under Erdoğan’s watch, the murder rate of women in Turkey has increased 1,400 percent.
• Under Turkey’s Islamist government, press freedom has plummeted.
Governor Perry may not have broad foreign policy expertise, but sometimes it’s useful to call a toad a toad, or at least a supporter of toads.